Tuesday, August 20, 2013

From Fan To Opener, The Dustin Walker Story

Because I went on a little vacation, I am now 7 hours late with my latest blog! (You mean you weren't at your computer at 7 this morning looking for it?) As many of you know, I spend a good deal of time chasing Rick Springfield and his band around the country. On those journeys, I met a young man also chasing Rick...and at the same time chasing his dreams. I feel compelled to share his story: It was maybe 14 years ago, as a little tot, Dustin Walker went to a Rick Springfield concert with his dad. Rick noticed him in the audience so DURING the show, Dustin went on stage to sing a quick chorus with Rick. Fast forward to last month...at age 17, Dustin Walker went to a Rick Springfield concert with his dad. BEFORE the show, Dustin performed...as Rick's opening act. "If not for Rick, I never would have started playing music," Dustin says. And that's the story of his life so far...from fan to opener for someone he has idolized for, well, as long as he could stand in front of the TV and strum along to Rick with his toy guitar. "I started playing when I was 4, but it didn't really click till I hit like 12 or 13...now it's all I want to do!" Now he's playing the real thing, in front of real life crowds. "I love it, I don't want to do anything else," Dustin says. Dustin has recently released his first CD "Between The Lines" and his songs are being played on the airwaves in other countries. To hear Dustin tell it, Rick is responsible for his success. But in meeting with him and watching him perform, I have a feeling raw talent and hard work got him where he is today. And, like Rick Springfield, something else drives him as well. "As a teen I suffer from depression but music helps make it all go away. I'm happiest when I'm on stage." So a couple of years ago, he formed a band with fellow musicians around his age (17 to 24 years old) from around his hometown of Channahon, Illinois. Playing locally for awhile, things are now "blowing up" –in their words– for the band. "My respect for Dustin jumped up about a hundred notches after our first time opening for Rick," says lead guitarist Drew Thompson. "There was something wrong with my amp and I thought I was just going to have to stop playing. But Dustin didn't miss a beat. He handed his guitar to me and then went on with the show. He displayed great crowd control." While comfortable on the stage, Dustin isn't necessarily comfortable for taking credit. "He is the most humble person I know," says drummer Johnny Collins. They describe their style as rock and metal, both easily heard in the debut CD. It's a mix of the different musical styles each member brings to the band. They all take part in the song writing and say their biggest challenge in working together is their schedules. "Because of our ages we have school and work, so we have to work around all of that," Dustin says. But they do make it work...and they work hard. Combine that with talent and having a rock star like Rick Springfield on your side...and it's clear, the story of Dustin Walker is not over yet. To learn more go to http://musikandfilm.com/store Or visit http://dustinwalkermusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment