Thursday, September 12, 2013

Ironmen and Women, With Hearts of Gold

As you all know, I am a BIG fan of the Greater Mankato Area. There are a number of things that truly making living here The Good Life. Those things, of course, differ from person to person. But here's what tops my list: we have Division I Hockey, a great school system where not only is the education outstanding, but they have activities to suit any student's interest. (I have four kids, with four different interests and they all find a place to fit in.) And, boy, the Kiwanis Holiday Lights display really demonstrates how cool this community is. The people though, are at the very tip top. People here never cease to amaze me in a variety of ways. Most recently, I've been following the journey of my friend Kate Cox's husband Chaun as he competed in the Wisconsin Ironman competition. Following her Facebook posts and pictures chronicling Chaun's journey really made me feel as though I was there cheering him on. When Chaun returned home, I asked him for a few comments on his experience. And in true "Minnesota Nice" form, he quickly mentioned several others from our region who competed alongside him. (I hate to start listing names here for fear I'll miss someone.) But I am amazed, although not all that surprised, that so many from our area could accomplish such a feat. For those of you not familiar with the Ironman, this is what it entails: a 2.4 mile swim, 112–mile bike ride...aaaaaaannd then, you run a marathon (26 miles). You have to do it in that order and without a break. On the go for 10 to 12 hours. Straight. I consider myself in pretty good shape. I run and workout regularly. But the Ironman/ woman is something I can't fathom doing. In fact, I can't even do one segment of the Ironman/woman. I could not swim 2.4 miles, or bike 112 miles, or run 26 miles. Let alone all of them combined! And Dr. Cox, like all the Ironmen and Women from our area, says he wouldn't be able to do it either without the support of his family and friends. Or without the support of our community. So, if you know Dr. Cox, or any of the other competitors from our area, you know even though they are Ironmen and women...they have hearts of gold. They are good ambassadors for all of us here who are so proud of them. Proud they are a part of Our Good Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment